A Marriage certificate is an official statement that two people are married. In most jurisdictions, a marriage certificate is issued by a government official only after the civil registration of the marriage. In some jurisdictions, especially in the United States, a marriage certificate is the official record that two people have undertaken a marriage ceremony. This includes jurisdictions where marriage licenses do not exist. In other jurisdictions, a marriage license serves a dual purpose of granting permission for a marriage to take place and then endorsing the same document to record the fact that the marriage has been performed.
A marriage certificate may be required for a number of reasons. It may be required as evidence of change of a party's name, on issues of legitimacy of a child, during divorce proceedings, or as part of a genealogical history, besides other purposes.
Marriage Certificate Application Details
Benefits of Marriage Certificate
Marriage certificate provides social security, particularly to married women’s. Further, the marriage certificate is necessary for obtaining or changing various other documents like passport, ration card, PAN card name change, etc.
Eligibility Criteria for Marriage Registration
To obtain a marriage registration certificate in West Bengal, the applicant has to satisfy the following criteria:
- The bride and groom should not be less than 18 and 21 years of age, respectively.
- The parties (husband and wife) must be living together at the time of registering their marriage.
- At the time of marriage registration, there should not be more than one spouse of any of the parties.
- The husband and wife must have lived together for at least one month in the district where marriage is to be registered.
At the time of registering the marriage, submit the following documents along with the application form:
- Residential proof of bride and groom.
- Passport size photo of the bride and the bridegroom.
- Age certificate of the bride and groom.
- Proof of marriage such as marriage invitation card, joint photograph and an affidavit from the priest or local panchayat bodies.
Fee for Marriage Registration
The Marriage Registration fee in West Bengal is given in the below tabular column:
- Rs.200 - If the application for the marriage registration is made within 2 months of the date of its solemnization.
- Rs.400 - If the application for the registration of a marriage is made after two months of the date of its solemnization.