The Indian Passport is issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, through a network of 37 passport offices across the country and the 180 Indian embassies and consulates located abroad. The document serves as an essential travel document for individuals who travel abroad for education, tourism, pilgrimage, medical attendance, business purposes and family visits. The passport certifies the holders as citizens of India by birth or naturalization as per the Passports Act, 1967.
In India, the Consular, Passport and Visa Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India provides passport services through Central Passport Organization (CPO) and its network of passport offices, and Passport Seva Kendras(PSKs). Non-resident Indians (NRIs) can avail passport and other miscellaneous services through the 185 Indian missions or posts. It needs to be mentioned that the passports issued to individuals are machine-readable, as per the guidelines laid down by the Indian Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
Passport Application Details
Types of Passport issued in India
There are two main types of passports that are issued to individuals by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India. They are:
- Ordinary passport: Ordinary passports are issued to ordinary individuals. These passports are for general purpose which enable the holders to travel to foreign countries on business or holidays.
- Official/Diplomatic passport: Official or Diplomatic passports are issued to people travelling to foreign countries on official duties.
How to Apply for an Indian Passport
- The applicant who wishes to avail a passport needs to register on the passport seva online portal. If he/she has already registered, the individual needs to login to the portal using the registered login ID and password.
- Next, the applicant needs to click on ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/ Re-issue of Passport’ link.
- Following that, the details asked for in the form needs to be provided by the applicant and submitted.
- Next, the applicant needs to click on the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ link under the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ tab to schedule an appointment.
- Once the payment is made and the appointment is booked, the applicant needs to click on the ‘Print Application Receipt’ link and print the application receipt that contains the Application Reference Number (ARN).
- The next step involves the applicant visiting the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Regional Passport Office (RPO) on the date of appointment along with the original documents.
Documents Required for Indian Passport
When an individual applies for a passport, he/she is required to submit certain documents:
- Passport application form
- Proof of address
- Proof of date of birth
- Documentary proof for any one of the Non-ECR categories
1. For Proof of Address
- Passbook of running bank account having the photo of the applicant
- Landline or postpaid mobile bill
- Rental agreement
- Electricity bill
- Voter ID card issued by Election Commission of India
- Water bill
- Income Tax Assessment order
- Proof of Gas connection
- Aadhaar card
- Copy of the first and last page of parent’s passport, in case of minors
- Certificate from employer of reputed companies on their letterhead
- Copy of the first and last page of the spouse’s passport mentioning the applicant’s name as spouse of the passport holder.
2. For Proof of Date of Birth:
- Aadhaar card/e-Aadhaar
- PAN card
- Voter ID card issued by the Election Commission of India
- Driving licence
- A declaration given by the Head of the Orphanage or Child Care Home confirming the date of birth of the applicant in its official letterhead.
- Birth certificate.
- Transfer certificate/school.
- The copy of an extract of the service record of the applicant (only for government employees) or pension order (retired government employees) which is duly attested or certified by the officer of the concerned department of the applicant.
- The copy of the policy bond that is issued by the Public Life Insurance Corporation/Companies having the date of birth of the holder of the insurance policy.
How to Book Appointment for Indian Passport
- Login to the online Passport Seva portal with registered login ID and password.
- Click on the ‘Apply for Fresh /reissue passport’ link.
- Fill the required details and submit the application form
- Next, click on the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ link which is located under the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ screen to schedule the appointment.
- On doing so, the appointment slot will be allotted to the applicant.