The primary purpose of this card is to improve the accuracy of the electoral roll and to help prevent cases of electoral fraud. Additionally, it also serves as an identification proof when individual’s cast their vote. This card is commonly known by other names such as an election card, voter’s card, Voter ID, etc.
EPIC (Electors Photo Identity Card) number is the voter ID number issued by the Election Commission of India (ECI). This number works as identity proof for Indian nationals who are above the age of 18. It also allows Indian nationals to cast votes in various elections conducted in the country. The EPIC number can be found on the voter ID card. It's right above the top of your photo on your voter identification card.
Voter Id Details
Points to Note Before Applying for a Voter ID
- Applicants must be of a minimum legal age of 18 years
- They should be of sound mind, free of criminal charges and not financially bankrupt.
- They should fill out the relevant documents such as Form 6 and ensure that they provide relevant original documents
- Applicants must solely apply for Voter ID only through government or government-approved websites and centres.
- Applicants must ensure details such as spelling of their name, date of birth, address and so on are correct.
- Applicants must also ensure that all information that is provided is legally correct in all aspects
- On successfully receiving the Voter ID, applicants must re-verify their documents and Voter ID to see if the information is correct.
Structure of Voter Id
- A unique Serial number
- Photograph of the cardholder
- A hologram containing the respective state/national symbol
- Name of cardholder
- Father’s Name of cardholder
- Card holder’s
- Card holder’s date of Birth
Voter ID Card Eligibility
In order to be eligible for a Voter ID card, individuals must meet the following criteria:
- An Indian citizen
- Age: 18 years or above
- Must have a permanent address
Documents Required For Voter ID Card
Applying for a Voters ID requires you to submit the following documents:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address
Uses of Voter ID
The Voter ID card is used to furnish important details, such as:
- The card serves as proof of identity and address.
- A Voter ID Card is an acknowledgement that the cardholder is a registered voter.
- The Voter ID has several personal identification features such as the cardholder’s signature & photograph.
- The Voter ID card can be utilised to avail certain government schemes.